Jun 4, 2013

Crossing the Deep Ocean Blue of Kaelalukea Bay

We were so lucky! 
The waters were the calmest they had been in the last few days, 
the sun was shinning and we were in good shape.
We put on our masks, some long fins we borowed from our host, 
and off we went down these steps ready for a seamingly easy adventure. 


We snokled, gliding through this beautiful ocean the nearly 1 1/2 mile to Captain Cook Monument. 
Only accessible by conoe, excursion boat, or by a 1 1/2 hour walk on rocky terrain.
Because we can do this! 
I'm a strong swimmer and Mike... well, he loves me!
We set off, arm in arm at times so we would stay close together.
Ok... I did drag Mike a few times once in a while, so we would keep a good pace.


I must say the swim there for me was amazing! 

I had the most wonderful experience with time and nature.
Time stood still.
 Emotions of being one with Creation welled up in me filling me with joy, 
peacefulness, awe and excitement. 
Below me was this incredible glistening blue as far as the eye could see, 
a water world of beauty and mystery.
I tried to capture the sun rays plunging deep on camera, 
this picture doesn't totally reflects what I saw, but is close.


Mike
After toiling for near an hour, 
thought he was finally going to be saved by a bright light at the bottom of the ocean. 



After 1 hour and a half swim, we got to the monument where snorkeling is awesome.
We could see the bottom again.

I felt so happy about our accomplishement!
I was proud of Mike who made it! 

Mike was tired and happy he didn't die!
He's never swam this far or this long! 
He only did it because he could snorkel the distance...

We took a break and sat for a few minutes looking back at the bay we had conquered!


And what did we see?
Dolphins swimming with snorkelers! 
Not too far, but also not close enough for us to quickly put our gear back on 
and get to them in time to swim with them! 
We were only there 5 mn ago!
 Darn it!
Bummer! 
I was so close to fulfilling one of my dreams!


We got back in and snorkled around, and slowly headed back to the other side of the bay.
At this point I started to have a little doubt about doing the distance again for Mike. 
Could he do another 1h to 2h swim?
I wished we could hitch a ride on a boat or even walk back...


No comments: