May 13, 2007

The truth about Mothers day!

Where on earth did I get the idea that "Mother's Day" should be a day where I shouldn't have to do a thing, where the kids do their chores, they are suddenly best friends, they have been planning for days this amazing tribute to mom, (with a little help from dad, of course)! The house is clean, love and gratitude abound. Gourmet meals are cooked by someone other than mom. Isn't this how "Mother's Day" is supposed to be? Isn't that what we deserve?

Well the truth is, the day usually doesn't go as I imagine it, and then I have tendency to sink into feelings of frustration and even despair! I have, on some mothers days, wanted to run away or lock myself in my bedroom (I have actually done both!) But I have learned to savor the little moments that come unexpected and in small doses throughout the day.

This Mothers day, Mike went to help a friend who called that morning, from noon till 6pm. The kids were still kids, some chores were done, some were not. But I got a coulpe of gifts from Emric and Amelie, along with some "I love yous", hugs and kisses. Justine made me breakfast, Alexi helped and was willing to cook dinner. At church the men told the women to gather in the culture hall, where a table was adorned with all kinds of deserts and fruits, and we were given a rose! A friend invited us all over to Dinner when she learned Mike was gone... And most of all, even though I experienced some feelings of frustration and discouragement throughout the day, I also felt gratitude, joy and was glad for the gift that I was given to be a mother, to have an amazing husband that is kind, unselfish and loving, and for 4 healthy kids that are each in their own special way great little people... And I felt truly blessed to have them in my life.

No comments: