Apr 12, 2013

When Things get a little Rocky

Sometimes things can get a little rocky between moms and strong-willed little girls.
Sometimes we need to take a good look at our relationship, and change some things.
And how better to know what needs to change than to ask the little girl?

So Amelie and I had a little talk about what we can do better to have a more fulfilling relationship.
Where each feels more loved and valued among the business of daily life.

I had Amelie write down a few things I can do better and what she can do better

Amelie for Mom
1. Stop threatening me sometimes.
2. Be more calm with chores.
3. Don't tell me what to do at the same time.
4. Be more patient.

Amelie will
1. Be kinder.
2. Be patient.
3. Be obedient.
(Man, do I love the last one!)

My List for Moi
1. I will cuddle her more.
2. Give her more words of affirmation & praises & 'love yous'.
3. Read books with her.
4. Give chores, one at a time.

You'd think that after 20 years of raising kids I'd be a pro by now!
Far from it!
I fail. I get distracted. I make mistakes.
What works with one doesn't work for another.
Thus the constant need to reevaluate.

 I hope that in some small way, my kids will come out OK. 
That they know I mean well.
I am still fumbling my way through parenthood.

Because I want the best life has to offer for them.
I want them to be happy and fulfilled.
I want them to be strong and courageous when tough choices and trials come their way.
I want them to be good, and caring, and happy.

All that despite my failings as a parent.
They can be all that despite me, because they have potential, they have free agency,
and they can become who they want to be.


No comments: