Oct 18, 2012

Mushrooms & Memories

In the woods today, I saw lots of mushrooms.
I searched for some edible one, looking on my phone for pictures.
I found 2 Boletes, but when I tasted them they were too bitter...
I'll keep looking though!

It reminded me of my tween years with my dad.
In the fall, he would wake me up early on Saturday mornings.
"Let's go Mushroom hunting!"
Being the morning person that I am and was back then, 
I would get up and go with him and our dog Patau.
My dad was usually successful at finding yummy mushrooms. 
He had a knack for it.
Or should I say a nose?
It was so fun and exciting when we would find some. 
I loved it! 
It was like a treasure hunt.
I believe that is partly where and when I got my love for the woods and trees...

My favorite was "Trompette de la mort" 
(Translated literally "Trumpet of death" or 'Trumpet's death')
even though their name sounds deathly they are so good to eat!
 We would bring back our basket of delicious mushrooms to my mom,
who would create delicious meals with them.
Sauteed in butter, garlic and fresh parsley!
A real delicatessen!

For the longest time I thought these delicatessens were meat.
( I was a meat eater)
I still remember the day I found out they were a fungus! 
I was shocked!


No comments: