Jul 20, 2013

R.A.D Self-Denfence class

I thought that taking a R.A.D self defence course would be an excellent thing for Justine and I to do.
So I signed us up at our Local County Sheriff's office.
They offer the course for free.

We went from 10am till 4pm, 2 Saturdays in a row.
The 1st Saturday was about educating us on self defence and the statistics of rape & domestic abuse, and what to do if you or someone you know is a victim.
And on being 'house' and 'street smart'.

One of the main factor of preventing abuse/aggression/abduction is your demeanor. 
You want to walk confidently, like you are saying with your body language 
"don't mess with me" "I will give you trouble".

The second Saturday was the actual learning and practicing self defence moves.
That was scary, empowering, and even a bit exhilarating!


Justine in full combat


Moi, in full combat mode, after the initial shock of being thrown backwards!
I do have to mention that it helped that I had just taken a boxing class 3 times a week for a month!
Thus the 'good stance'! :)


We rock and don't mess with us!

So when I got home I tried some of the stuff I had learned on Mike.
Unfortunately, since he is a very good wrestler, I did not get far!
The only thing I did get was frustrated!
I was totally pinned and could not move even a finger...

But hopefully, if and/or when put are in a situation where self defence is needed,
having it done a few times will help and we will be less likely to freeze.

In a couple of years, I will be taking Amelie through this course!
I have a feeling she will be a natural!

No comments: