Aug 25, 2012

Car Nightmare in Panguitch UTAH

As we left our Camp Ground in Brice, my car's AC stopped working!
NOT A GOOD SIGN...
Especially in 100 degree desert weather!

After 20mn, Danny decided to stop at a gas station for an ice-cream, in the little town of Panguitch.
My car totally stopped working as I pulled in!

Since my car was not going any further,
 Danny and Aude carried on toward home with as many kids as they could.
(over a 4 hour drive)
Justine and Emric stayed with me. 
(I had to beg Emric who wanted to go with them.) 
Justine was again, in time of crises, a strong support.

We went across the street to Thomas Repair Shop.
After waiting for an hour and a half, for the car to cool down from overheating,
the car was taken there.
The owner said he would take care of us.
That turned out to be a lie!

To make a long story short, 
He kept my car for 3 hours without doing a thing!
Oh, he told me the worst case senario, that I could be stuck in Panguitch for 4 to 5 days...
He wanted to give me a $600 tow to Salt Lake 
The thermostat was kaput and may have damaged the motor!

Mike had to call around to find the part we needed: a thermostat.
He also arranged for a rental car for me to go get it in Cedar.
By the time I was going to be back with it, it was going to be past 5pm.
The owner of the Auto Shop said that he would be closed!
Nothing he could do today!

I lost it then!
I just went in the street and cried...
I vowed not to go on such a trip without Mike again!

But even though Mike was not there he was still able to be of help to his family.
He made some phone calls and got a shop that would stay open until I got back!
The guys from the rental car.
Mike told him to look for distressed woman walking down the street...
The owner came to find me and told me to follow him to his shop down the street.
He was so nice! He couldn't stay himself, he had a 'meeting' to go to on a Wednesday night...
I totally felt like a damsel in distress and someone had a heart to help...
(I saw a Book of Mormon in his office, no wonder!)
I cried again of emotional relief...

So off we went, with a minivan to Cedar, a 2h and 30mn drive round trip!
Justine helped me drive, I took a nap exhausted from the days events...
What an awesome girl she is!

I also have an awesome Man... 
In case we would have had to stay, 
Mike had found his best friend from Elementary school who lived there.
He would have picked us up and taken care of us! 
Amazing!
I'm glad we didn't need his help afterall though!
I am grateful for good helpful people...
The one fast food place in the village: Arbys
I laid out a blanket in this little Park where we hung out a bit until it rained... 
The I-will-never-go-there-again Auto-Shop. 
I'm thinking of putting a bad review for 'Thomas's Auto Repair' on google.
And an excellent one for The U-haul shop.
The beautiful skies as we got on our way towards Salt Lake City after our car was fixed.
The repair guy made sure that it would not overheat again, we were good to go!!!
We had broken down around 1pm in Panguitch and arrived in Salt Lake around 11pm.
An Amazing Sky!!!!

No comments: