Dec 15, 2012

Flooding of Memories in One Unexpected Bite of French Goodness

(Well, these were actually from Italy)

Tonight for our date, my Man and I went to see the movie the Hobbit.
After the movie we had to go validate our parking ticket at Hubble & Hudson!
So we got a couple of my favorite drinks:
 Izzi and Orangina
I happened to look up on a random shelf, and what did I see?
Some boxes of Marrons Glaces!
(Glazed Candied Chestnut)

OH MY HEART!

3 min later, I was savoring this french delicatessen at 11pm at an outside table in front of H&H, 
under a lit up tree, in 70+ degree weather!
(I did share one with my man, just one and forbade him to eat anymore...)

I almost cried at the first bite!
Memories of my dear grandma Henrillette and past Christmases 
in my home land enveloped me!
 I miss my Grandma so much!

She was so lovely and kind, I've always felt a strong bond for her and still do.
She knew her grandchildren and loved us by always having little goodies for us when we visited.
Some of my favorite childhood memories were sleep overs at her tinny one bedroom appartement.
Going to the market and grocery shopping, 
Waiting for the Bread Van that would honk in front of her apartment building everyday. 
I would run down the 6 or 7 flights of stairs so fast to get her her daily fresh bread 
and little yummy buttery croissants, a treat for me!
During my high school years, I would visit her and my beloved grandpa Gaston, 
 every week during my 2h lunch hour or after school.
I ALWAYS felt welcomed, loved and special in thier home and heart.
I want to be a grandma just like her someday...

So, why so emotional, as I savor this marron glaces?
For Christmas, she would get me a box of these Marrons, 
because I was the weird one that did not like chocolate!

Here are photos of her, goodbyes, and a poem I wrote to honor her.

I love her so much and can't wait to see her again in the next life!
I know she will be there to greet me.
She will be one of the first persons I will look for.
I can't think of heaven without memere Henrillette or pepere Gaston!
I feel so privileged to be part of thier family.

I love family ties, because they never die or leave us.


No comments: